Risperdal Can Cause Male Breast Development
Children and young men with schizophrenia or bipolar disorder have taken the drug Risperdal and suffered an unpleasant and unwanted side effect – gynecomastia, or the development of male breasts. This is not typical weight gain; it is the growth of breast tissue due to an increase in the hormone prolactin.
According to the drug’s own manufacturer, a Johnson & Johnson division called Janssen, Risperdal was found in studies to increase prolactin levels in:
- 82% to 87% of boys and young men with schizophrenia or bipolar disorder.
- 49% of boys and young men suffering from autism and certain other ailments.
No more than 7% of those who took a placebo during the study had increased prolactin levels.
If you or a loved one has experienced male breast development after taking Risperdal, you need to speak with an attorney. Compensation may be available for your ordeal, but time is limited to seek justice if you’ve been harmed. Contact us today for a free consultation with one of our attorneys.
Social, Emotional and Physical Effects
Risperdal is an antipsychotic drug containing risperidone. It was approved in 1993 for use in schizophrenic adults, but it was not approved for adolescents and children until 2007. The use of the drug in youths has skyrocketed since then.
The drug’s packaging warns of several side effects specific to young males, gynecomastia among them. Because, like many other drugs, Risperdal can cause weight gain, it is possible for the development of breasts in boys taking Risperdal to be mistaken for typical weight gain.
Gynecomastia can be painful, and surgery may be necessary to remove excess breast tissue that has developed. In many cases, however, its worst effects are psychological and emotional, leading to issues of self-image and social problems.
Gynecomastia may also cause:
- Nipple discharge
Affected Men Are Taking Action
- As of September 2012, Johnson & Johnson faced about 130 lawsuits from men who suffered from gynecomastia linked to Risperdal, according to Bloomberg.
- Six of those cases were settled in September and October of 2012 by agreements between the men and the company. The terms of the settlements were not released.
- Johnson & Johnson has paid billions of dollars to settle lawsuits and investigations regarding the inappropriate marketing of Risperdal.
Let Us Help You
If you or a member of your family has experienced male breast development or been diagnosed with gynecomastia after taking Risperdal, you need to contact us today to speak with one of our attorneys. This shouldn’t have happened. Boys and young men taking Risperdal have enough to deal with without this embarrassing and unwanted side effect.
Time is limited to join those who are standing up to Johnson & Johnson to seek compensation for their unpleasant ordeal. Contact our attorneys today by calling 1 (877) 319-2353 or fill out the form on this page to learn how we can help you.